Architecture-in-Development (A–D) is launching the Global Challenge 2021, the 2nd edition, following the great success of the 2016 pilot. The Global Challenge 2021 calls for community-driven architectural initiatives that have radical potential to improve the lives of both rural and urban communities.
Enter the Global Challenge, connect to partners and supporters to get your community’s initiative off the ground! The submission will be open from June 6 until July 25, 2021.
What is the Global Challenge?
The Global Challenge is a one year program that recognises the best community projects and helps accelerate their development. We select the most impactful initiatives, promote them amongst our global network of partners and connect them through meaningful collaborations – on our own terms, a new Do-It-Together (DIT) architecture practice
The Global Challenge highlights the ongoing building efforts of self-built communities around the world who deserve more public attention. By bringing their endeavours and needs to the attention of industry experts and leaders, we explore new forms of collaboration through Do-It-Together Architecture
Why should we submit our community project to the Global Challenge?
The Global Challenge is a great opportunity if you are seeking partners or supporters to get your community’s initiative off the ground. It is the one-and-only global program that supports the early phase of community-driven architectural initiatives. Reasons to submit your project include:
– Exposure: if your project is eligible and published on the A–D website, it can increase its visibility and credibility among your supporters and potential partners.
– Network: if your project is selected as a finalist, A–D will become your network partner. You can join our free accelerator that aims to connect our partners and our network resources to your project.
– Funding & partnership: as a finalist, you will have the opportunity to receive €3,000.- funding or pro bono advice provided by our partners
An Example of Success
ModSkool was selected as one of the finalists of our Global Challenge pilot in 2016. Designed by Social Design Collaborative, ModSkool is a low-cost, modular school that can be assembled or disassembled in just a few hours by community members. Located in Chilla Khadar, a slum on the floodplains of River Yamuna in Delhi, ModSkool is not only a school for 250 children but also a low-cost solution that promises uninterrupted education for kids living in informal settlements around the globe.
First built in 2017 in less than three weeks, ModSkool was dismantled one year later due to land-ownership issues. After its relocation and reconstruction in 2019, the design was improved and the builders have advanced their skills. This year ModSkool was recognised by the London Design Museum as the winner in the architecture category.
Learn more about the Global Challenge 2021, submission criteria, best practice and our partners at https://architectureindevelopment.org/
Download the information related to this competition here.
- TitleOpen Call: The Global Challenge 2021 | Architecture-in-Development
- TypeCompetition Announcement (Built Projects & Masterplans)
- OrganizersArchitecture-in-Development (A–D)
- Registration DeadlineJuly 25, 2021 10:00 PM
- Submission DeadlineJuly 25, 2021 10:00 PM